Are you on the hunt for a great Mother's Day gift, but aren't quite sure what to get your mom?
While gift shopping can be tough in general, it's even more difficult this year because of the coronavirus. Popping into your mom's favorite store pick up a gift or perusing the mall on a Sunday is no longer an option.
However, this doesn't mean there still aren't some great gifts out there.
Check out this guide to discover the top unique gifts for mom for this Mother's Day.
Just because mom is stuck inside, doesn't mean she doesn't want to pamper herself every once in a while and give her hair some extra love.
One great gift idea is to put a basket of hair accessories together. Some items you may want to include in your basket include:
- Hair towel wraps: These are made to stay on your head so you don't have to deal with balancing a bulky bath towel
- Turbie band: This is an excellent accessory for keeping your hair out of your face, allowing you to easily apply makeup, go for a run, do yoga, or wash your face
- Shower cap: This is great for when your mom doesn't want to deal with washing her hair (perfectly understandable during this quarantine time!
- Satin pillowcase: Satin pillowcases are both luxurious and great for keeping your hair healthy
You could also upgrade this "hair basket" and turn it into a "spa basket" by adding face masks, nail polish, or other goodies your mom may like using to look and feel her best.
If your mom is trying to use this time to expand her brain and skillset, then online classes and workshops are a great gift idea.
Whether your mom is 84 or 44, it's never too late to learn a new skill. Some classes that are easy to take online include:
- Language classes
- Yoga classes
- Drawing/art classes
- Dance classes
- Academic-related classes
Some sites to check out that offer online classes include Master Class, Skillshare, Udemy, and Coursera. From illustration to coding to piano to philosophy, these sites are sure to have something that's of interest to your mother.
Since there's a good chance you won't be able to hand-deliver your gift to your mom this Mother's Day, why not send a gift right to her doorstep via a subscription box.
While many subscription boxes only make you commit for one month, most of them come with an option to buy a subscription for a whole year. So, if you have the money, this can be the gift that keeps on giving.
Some great subscription box services to look into include:
- Meal kit subscription boxes: From Purple Carrot to Green Chef to Blue Apron, there's a meal kit subscription box out there for every appetite and lifestyle
- Winc: This is a wine subscription box that sends you unique wines each month at a discount price based on your preferences
- TheraBox: This is a self-care box that comes with things like bath salts, aromatherapy oils, and journals- perfect for the busy mom who needs to unwind
- Laurel and Reed: This subscription box comes with a bunch of organic skincare items
- Ecocentric Mom: This is perfect for moms and moms-to-be, as each box is curated with goodies that are matched to a particular stage in motherhood
- Simple Loose Leaf Tea: If your mom is a big tea drinker, fill up her cup with this subscription box that comes with 4 different teas each month
- Peace and Pages: This subscription box service focuses on reading and relaxation, sending customers one book and one self-care item per month
- The Plant Club: This subscription box can help your mom practice her green thumb, as you get one new houseplant each month along with potting materials and care instructions
- Oh Baby Box: This is the perfect subscription box for the mom-to-be, as it tailors each box based on the expecting mom's due date
As you can see, there are a lot of unique subscription boxes that your mom will enjoy.
Host a Zoom/Skype Party
Of course, there's no better gift to give than the gift of time. Even though you may not be able to throw a big Mother's Day bash this year, you can still get everyone together via Zoom to celebrate Mom.
While you can use this platform to simply catch up and chat, you can also use it to play games like Scattegories, Pictionary, or trivia, if your mom is into that sort of thing!
Create a Video/Slideshow
If you're looking for a great non-material gift to give your mom that she'll cherish forever, then creating a video/slideshow is an excellent idea.
With a video, you can have everyone close to your mom wish her a happy Mother's Day and say what it is they like best about her/share a favorite memory of her. Or, you can create a slideshow with a bunch of different pictures of you, your mom, and the rest of her family and friends together throughout the years.
However you spin it, your mom will be sure to love this sentimental gift.
While giving your mom a framed photo of the two of you is a nice gift idea, that's been done a million times before.
So, why not kick things up a notch by giving your mom a custom made illustration? Basically, all you need to do is send your chosen photo into an illustration service, and an artist will get to work and create a near-perfect illustrated version of the same photo.
If your mom is looking to add some new artwork to her home, this is a great idea.
Unique Gifts for Mom: Are You Ready to Give?
As you can see, there are a lot of unique options out there when it comes to unique gifts for mom.
Be sure to also check out this guide to discover more thoughtful gift ideas that you can give your mom for Mother's Day.